Understanding Drug Possession Charges in Flint
The state of Michigan has a reputation for being extremely strict when it comes to drug progression charges. Under both federal and Michigan state law, any individual found guilty of illegal distributing, manufacturing, transporting, cultivating, selling, possessing or trafficking of controlled substances may face severe fines and incarceration in county jail or state prison.
Like any other criminal defense law, the punishment degree of drug possession crimes varies in severity. Drug possession is segregated into “schedules” to divide certain prosecution and sentences, like many other states:
- Schedule I Substances MCL 333.7211,7212- While these controlled substances have no purpose for medical treatment, they are considered high-risk abuse drugs. These drugs include ecstasy, peyote, hallucinogenic mushrooms, LSD, marijuana and GHB (the “date rape drug”).
- Schedule II Substances MCL 333. 7213, 7214- Some drugs, while approved for medicinal use in the United States, are highly restricted due to their extremely addictive tendencies. Courts also keep in mind the likely potential of abuse. These drugs include opium, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, hydrocodone and methamphetamines.
- Schedule III Substances MCL 333.7215, 7216- Controlled substances within a Schedule III are deemed to have a moderate risk of dependency with accepted medicinal use. These drugs include morphine (lower potency), ketamine (anabolic steroids) and hydrocodone with acetaminophen or aspirin.
- Schedule IV Substances MCL 333. 7217, 7218- Drugs that have limited addiction and low risk of misuse include Xanax, Rohypnol and Valium.
- Schedule V Substances MCL 333. 7219, 7220- Although the abuse possibility of these controlled substances is very low, the risk is still evident. Some of these over the counter (OTC) drugs include cough syrups with codeine and cold medicine with ephedrine.
If you or a loved one is faced with a drug possession conviction, the best course of action is to contact a Flint criminal defense lawyer for legal aid.
Drug Possession Attorney serving Genesee County
It is important to contact the right lawyer for your drug possession case to obtain the most positive resolution possible. Not only do you risk facing difficult consequences if convicted, but a lasting mark on your permanent record can affect your chances of gaining various opportunities in the future. Shaun R. Marks, P.C., wants to help you stand up for your rights. Don’t let a drug possession charge change your future’s outcome. With a success rate of 94%, our firm is confident that you will be protected. As well as the Genesee County area, my firm proudly serves Oakland County, Lapeer County, Shiawassee County and Saginaw County.
Drug possession charges should not get in the way of your future. Schedule a Free Drug Possession Defense Consultation from Shaun R. Marks, P.C. today.